Radiant Heating for Commercial and Residential Applications Throughout Massachusetts and Connecticut
If you want your home or commercial building to be comfortable, be sure it includes a radiant floor heating system.
"Thank you for always being so customer friendly and consumer oriented. It’s a pleasure to deal with your company."
Thank you, Eleanor
JV Mechanical is an expert in radiant floor heating systems for both commercial and residential applications. We are members of Uponor’s Home Comfort Team trained radiant floor heating installers.
What is radiant heating?
Radiant floor heating is the most comfortable way to heat any home or commercial building. In fact, the concept of heating the floor from below has been used for centuries.
Today, radiant floor heating circulates warm water through specially designed PEX tubing installed underneath the floor turning it into a warm, mild radiator. Heat is kept where it is needed most – at the floor. This keeps you warmer at a lower thermostat setting, increasing your comfort and saving energy.
Why think about radiant heating?
Uponor Radiant Floor Heating provides many benefits to your home or commercial building, whether it’s new or newly remodeled.
• Radiant Floor Heating is the most comfortable heating system available. It puts you in direct contact with the heat source, and keeps the heat where it is needed most.
• Radiant floor heating is energy efficient. Because it heats objects and not the air, people are comfortable at a lower thermostat setting. This saves money on your monthly heating bills.
• Radiant Floor heating is the only way to comfortably heat a concrete slab. Basements can become warm, usable spaces with radiant floor heating.
• Radiant floor heating can increase the value of your home. Radiant heat makes a nice selling feature when homeowners decide to sell their home.
• Radiant floor heating eliminates the noisy fans and cold drafts associated with forced hot air heating.
• Radiant floor heating is the ideal way to heat homes and commercial buildings with high ceilings and extensive windows, as it keeps the heat where the people are.
To see one of JV Mechanical Contractor's radiant heating installations please view this sample project.
Frequently Asked Questions about Radiant Floor Heating
1. What makes radiant floor heating so comfortable?
Radiant floor heating controls the rate at which our bodies lose heat better than any other heating method. This is because radiant floor heating heats objects in the same way that the sun heats the earth. Radiant energy warms the floor and the objects in contact with the floor. This prevents your body from losing heat to cold objects in the room. It is a scientific fact that heat energy is always drawn to cold objects. When we stand on a cold floor or next to a cold wall, we feel cold. This has nothing to do with the air temperature, and everything to do with the fact that heat is being lost from our bodies to warm up the cold objects around us. This heat loss is controlled with radiant floor heating. The radiant warmth keeps us comfortable at a lower thermostat setting.
2. How long has radiant floor heating been used?
JV Mechanical Contractors is proud to be a trained installer of Uponor radiant floor heating systems. Uponor has been manufacturing PEX tubing for use in radiant floor heating and plumbing systems for over 35 years, longer than any other PEX manufacturer. Uponor products have been proven in over a quarter century of field use and laboratory testing. When you hear the name Uponor, you know you have a name you can trust. Uponor’s expertise in manufacturing radiant floor heating systems, combined with JV Mechanical’s extensive experience installing radiant floor heating systems, provide you with the quality and comfort you are looking for.
3. Is radiant floor heating more expensive than the alternatives?
When homeowners or building owners are making a decision on the type of heating system in their home or commercial project, they should consider the difference between more expensive and too expensive. Radiant floor heating is slightly more expensive to install than other heating methods, but the benefits make it worth the additional cost. Not only will radiant floor heating keep you more comfortable than any other heating system, but it will increase the value of your home or building, and save you money on your monthly heating bill. Most people do not hesitate to spend a little bit more money to upgrade their windows or wood floors, but think little about the comfort system in their home or commercial project. Shouldn’t your comfort be a high priority? The benefits of radiant floor heating are definitely worth the extra money.
4. If I use radiant floor heating, can I still have air conditioning?
Separate heating and cooling systems actually make the most sense resulting in optimal comfort year round. Radiant floor heating keeps heat where it is needed most. Air conditioning ductwork, therefore, does not need to be as extensive and can be placed more strategically than ductwork used for both heating and air conditioning. JV Mechanical can design and install a heating and cooling system that best meets your comfort needs and your budget.
5. How do I know it will last?
Uponor PEX tubing products were designed over 30 years ago specifically for use in radiant floor heating systems. In fact, Uponor PEX tubing is one of the most thoroughly tested plastic tubing product in the world. To back up their extensive history of successful radiant floor heating systems, Uponor offers a 25 year tubing warranty. This ensures today’s home and building owners that their heating system will last.